(5th Operational Phase: 2011-2014)
The Global Environment Facility (GEF) Small Grants Programme (SGP) provides to civil society organizations (including national NGOs, community-based organizations, and indigenous peoples organisations) in 126 countries. Grants are provided in the following GEF focal areas: mitigation of climate change (CC), conservation of biodiversity (BD), protection of international waters (IW), reduced impact of chemicals and Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs), prevention of land degradation (LD), and promotion sustainable forest management (SFM). SGP also seeks to generate sustainable livelihoods, reduce poverty, and create community empowerment.
SGP Malaysia was opened in 1999 and started financing projects in 2000. Since then, SGP Malaysia has succeeded in funding and providing support for more than 97 projects.
The purpose of the portfolio of OP5 Strategic Projects (SPs) is to enable eligible national stakeholders in Malaysia to carry out the following:
- Create greater impact and closer links between local efforts and global environmental benefits (GEBs) by supporting more extensive geographical coverage and/or thematic consolidation for policy improvement in mature SGP country programmes;
- Make effective use of the built up capacity of local NGOs, CBOs and communities for replication of successful technologies and approaches;
- Improve the capacity of the SGP and its partners to leverage larger funds from potential partners and donors;
- Strengthen the sustainability and replicability of SGP projects;
- Assist SIDS and landlocked LDCs to benefit from specialized expertise and/or exchanges which is not available in the SGP programme country;
- Pilot innovative market mechanisms and financial instruments (i.e. such as Payments for Ecosystem Services, PES; environmentally friendly loans; revolving funds; and/or sustainable financing for clean energy technologies);
- Accumulate national and global experience in the development and implementation of projects of larger coverage enabling SGP to link more effectively with the MSP and FSP modalities of the GEF, as well as that of other donors and governments
- Strategically position civil society participation and leadership in new and innovative policies and programmes with non-GEF funding (i.e. wide implementation of community-based adaptation (CBA), ecosystem-based adaptation (EBA), community-based REDD+, sustainable energy for all (SE4ALL), strengthening direct access to funding mechanisms such as the Adaptation Fund and the Green Climate Fund)
The expected outputs of the OP5 Strategic Project may be developed following the attached format for SGP Malaysia, in consultation with the SGP National Coordinator (NC) David Lee, email@example.com, tel: +(603) 2091 5115, and other relevant partners.
The OP5 Strategic Project for SGP Malaysia must be planned to take place during the 5th Operational Phase of SGP running from January 2011 to December 2014.
Funding may be provided from the GEF not to exceed US$150,000. A detailed budget breakdown should be provided by the proponent including all estimated costs, according to the attached proposal format for SGP Malaysia.
Download the Strategic Project: Call for Proposal (with template and guidelines in PDF), template in Word